Sunday, August 2, 2009

Drink of Choice

The day started out with a burst of hard rain…grey skies with no end in sight. I text him…
Mr. Banks…it’s raining hard.
I know baby. You still coming out?


It took me another 30 minutes to respond…it wasn’t a matter of the rain…more like the matter of my bed feeling too comfortable to leave on a cloudy Friday morning…

Yes, I am still coming.

I’d arrived early and decided to text SOS. SOS responded with a call back to me, we started off with two nice words and then it got all hostile n’ shit. I told him my date had arrived and got off the phone. It was more that I didn’t want to hear what he had to say… So I stood there on the sidewalk wondering where the hell Mr. Banks was. I text him and as I am waiting on his response he walks to me and gives me a big ol’ bear hug and kiss on the cheek.
I’d forgotten how…large he was.
Large…in the truest sense of the word.

It was the very perfect Cuban restaurant that anyone could ever ask for on a cloudy Friday. The décor was awesomely warm and seductive, I am sure that he picked it for that very reason. It was dark wood, bold velvet accessories and candles flickering with the slow and rhythmic beat of Cuban music playing in the background.
He asked if I liked the place and I told him I did, as I positioned myself comfortably into the cushions…
...he was pleased…and sort of full of himself for picking the perfect place for me to sort of come out of my hardened shell…then he orders a pitcher of red sangria and really…I could have fallen in love right there but…I didn’t.
We sat and talked for hours…literally. Three hours had passed before I asked whether or not he was going to return to work. He stayed another half hour before he made himself leave. He didn’t want to and really…the conversation was that good, I wasn’t really ready for him to leave. But there was no way I was going to let him know that. Plus, I’d found out during this getting-to-know-you conversation that he had a woman…for 3 years…
Same ol’ shit that I’d heard before…not happy, not satisfied, looking for something more, a deeper love…blah blah blah…

…but the conversation was good. But not good enough to make me venture down that road. Plus, he is so not my type… although, these days I am realizing that I don’t have a type. Either way, I enjoyed the afternoon. I stayed behind, I was meeting a friend uptown later on in the evening…so I wasn’t rushing to get up there…I sat in the seductive restaurant and drank another glass of sangria and then…he called me…

He would be Ray Ray from Takoma Park, Maryland… Now, Ray Ray is obviously not his name …I gave him the name Ray Ray Pookie Johnson, I’d given him that name one night when we were being silly. He’s never made advances towards me…and maybe that was his normal routine because it worked to make me comfortable with him. I actually liked the whole having a male friend without him coming on to me. Rarely does that happen…I know that if I say just a couple of words in the positive to any of my male friends….it would happen, they’d be down for the get down. I sort of hate that about men…but I guess it works in my favor if I actually like the guy…blah!

I mention that I am gong to be there for 4 days while my dad is in town…I knew I had a room to sleep in…he’d offered it to me when I was going thru the BS with the guy from the last 2 years. The two weeks before I left, he’d thought it would be safer at his house…considering none of my friends thought dude was in his right mind and the fact that he was a little volatile/hostile/desperate the whole month of June…so I knew I had a place to stay without even stressing on it.

He has this beautiful big house in an old part of TP…he’s landscaped it beautifully and the inside of the house is amazingly…old and creative and …eclectic. It’s like he has these old pieces of furniture that look like antiques but they are just weathered…and everything looks like it has a story behind it, like it’s been in the family forever. He’s definitely not a follower which is a great thing in a city full of pretentious people. I was obviously impressed he had put it all together himself. The afternoon I had spent over his house he was on the phone for 3 hours while he was on a conference call, I ordered Chinese for us and then I took my magazine and wrapped my body in a comfy chair in his sunroom and enjoyed the fact that it really felt like a get away versus hanging in my friends house for the afternoon. As he continued his call I decide to laze around his Asian inspired backyard. His house is for me…but that was never going to happen…

We talked shit, talked about my move, talked about my family reunion, talked about his ex, talked about his obsession with youth...in his companions and his vanity. He’d asked about my sex life [which has become the one question that I get asked routinely] and I teased him asking why he’s curious, he conveniently changed the subject. Although, we did have a awkward moment…he got quiet after I asked him a question…a question that was to be a joke but by his silence…he let me know that he has thought about me in another way…a different way than I had originally thought.
SO now, I will be back in Maryland for 4 days starting on the 17th to stay two nights at his house…and for some reason I am not sure his plan is to have me sleep in the extra bedroom anymore… I could be wrong, I hope that I am.
I could go ga-ga over a man like him…funny, intelligent, metro sexual and SINGLE…lol I am hoping he’s straight too…’cause I just realize, I described some of my gay friends to a T.

We hung up and I headed uptown…finally. SOS was meeting me up there and I swear…somewhere between Greenwich street and 125th…all that sangria caught up with me. I got to my desired location and waited on the hair pull and the kiss on the lips...and waited.

And then…
…he spoke of love and my jaw dropped to the ground.
Now, I’ve known that he loved me but he’d never actually told me…
…so hearing it…really really effected me.
Had he not been drunk…he wouldn’t have, I know that.
I asked for how long…and he gave me a specific date from 3 years ago…and again, I was floored.
…but because of me coming out of some things…I am emotionally unavailable for trying to be something that I can not be right now, which he knows...which now that I think about it, its the perfect time to tell me he loves me…LOL

Before this night is thru, I’m gonna do bad things to you…

SOS left at 7am and it’s a miracle we both hadn’t slept until the next afternoon because we’d been drinking and I was passed out and barely coherent. Neither of us had anything to do the next day but now that I am not in a relationship…it’s ok for me to want him to go so I could sleep soundly in my own bed… by myself.
I went back to sleep and literally slept until 5pm Saturday afternoon. I tried to get up but was hung over and I tried to watch tv but kept falling asleep, I tried to read a book but kept dozing…so I gave in and just let sleep embrace me.
SOStext me in the A.M. to ask how I was and to let me know, he’d enjoyed hanging out…which was awesome because I enjoyed it as well. I do believe the security camera in the elevator showed how much we enjoyed ourselves. Which means I would be mortified to go back to the ol’ watering hole.

Today was brunch, this evening was a nite time walk as I talked...about nothing and everything all at once. I am doing that a lot lately. I have a lot of conversation but...it's not like I really do...it's that I can now, more freely than I have in the past year without thinking it's going to end in an arguement. This works.

That is the extent of my last couple of days… nothing major and nothing to exciting…just another weekend to chalk up as …life experiences.

Sumptin To Say:
More and more I'm seeing your light shine and that is a good thing.......
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?